Buildings


Search for 100-year-old books

1 Comment 

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the Killowen Reading Room and we have launched a special centenary search. (more…)

Killowen Old Chapel/School

No Comments 

In 1772 Father McLinden, the parish priest of Rostrevor, initiated the building of a chapel in Killowen. Before his plan was realised he died and it was Fr. McKee who saw the church completed and consecrated in 1779. (more…)

Sacred Heart Church Historical Notes 1871-1995

No Comments 

Fr O’Neill held a meeting to find out where to build the Church. He raised money for the building throughout Europe. Bishop Leagy was the bishop at the time. The sands was drawn from Hilltown and the shore. Peter Sloan’s father drew the stones from Newry with horse and slipe. (more…)

Ballyedmond Castle

No Comments 

Ballyedmond Castle has an interesting past, going back to the 1850s. The Castle was preceded on the site by a two-storey granite house built in the 1770s by the Pollocks of Newry. This was the house which the United Irish leader, William Drennan, visited many times as did the author Maria Edgeworth and perhaps even Lady Emma Hamilton. (more…)

Sacred Heart Church, Killowen

[4] Comments 

The foundation stone of this Church was laid in April 1870. Work began immediately and local people worked hard during its construction, and finally in August 1872 the Church was dedicated by Cardinal Cullen, then Archbishop of Dublin. (more…)

Next Page »